Saturday, May 9, 2009

Flooded basements and other fun stuff!

OK, I know I am really bad at this blog thing..... I just have a hard time writing about my wonderful, fun filled life! Actually I have a hard time believing that anyone would really want to read it! So what has been going on lately... Well our basement flooded 2 Sundays ago. Gary and I decided that this year we would try to have a garden. We tried years ago and having married a farmer I thought it would be easy to raise some corn and tomatoes and such but as it turns out those things need water... regularly! Who would have thunk it! My husband and "former" farmer was now working in the oil field and not home much to water said garden. Needless to say it did not work out too well and we gave up on the gardening. Anyway back to the present... we (meaning Gary) tilled our little 10x12 garden spot to get it ready for planting, we (meaning me) soaked the peas overnight to help them come up faster according to my father in law, then we (meaning Gary) went about planting them all in a tidy little row. It had been raining lightly off and on all day but Gary just had to water the little beggars so he put the hose on them for about an hour and a half. It being Sunday we were all (meaning everyone BUT Gary) being lazy and no one had gone downstairs until later that afternoon. Gary...of course...goes downstairs to watch some TV (finally, that man makes me tired just watching him do all that work! LOL!) and made a splash at the bottom of the stairs! After some swearing and mild freaking out (that was me!) He called his sister and I called the water extraction people. We had about 2 inches of water in the basement that had come in through the outside faucet that he had used to water the peas with. Apparently the copper pipe part of the faucet had frozen during the winter and when he turned it on it leaked in through the bathroom vent in the ceiling. Crazy! Anyway... have you heard that commercial for the ambulance chasing lawyer that says "One call, that's all"? Well that is all it took, one call. Gary's call to his sister initiated a phone tree and within a half an hour we had all the help we needed getting the furniture and everything else out of the basement. This is no small feat either. My sectional couch is very bulky and heavy and my stairs are steep with a very sharp turn at the bottom! The same people that helped us get that couch down there are the ones that helped us get it out and they don't want to have to do it again so as a courtesy to them I have decided to sell that monstrosity and get something a little more managable for the space. I suppose that the basement flooding was a blessing in disguise as it has forced me to take care of some things that I have been putting off. It is going to take some time to get it all done but in the end it will be worth it. The insurance is going to pay for the carpet being restretched and cleaned and the part of the ceiling in the bathroom to be fixed. I am going to get new couches that actually fit the room. I am going to paint my Scrapbook and bead rooms and I am going to have a HUGE yard sale! Everything must go!

Jake and Gary are out in the yard thatching so I should go see if I can help!

Barb

1 comment:

rokokkaya said...

have a nice weekend barb regards from http://11pips.blogspot.com